Reduce correcting with the Scoring App’s Subcategory feature
Give students credit and hold them accountable without collecting, grading, and returning assignments. This strategy targets formative assignments whose answers are covered during class (students-self correct). Student focus improves when they know you will frequently use the “Effort App” to check and score their work.
How to add On-Task subcategory scores to your grade book
Step 1 Go to the On-Task category and press the blue bar below the Course name
Step 2 Scroll down and select an existing Subcategory or “Create New Subcategory“
Step 3 You have the option of changing the high-point limit (from the default of 10 points) to from 5 to 50 points.
Step 4 Title the assignment, for example, Grammar WS #2 (WS = worksheet)
Step 5 Tell students what a high-effort score will look like. Go from student to student and check work completion. Enter less-than-max scores to students whose level of focus does not meet expectations (do not score everyone on the same scale – some students giving 80% effort compared to their peers might be given full credit because 80% focus is at or near their max level). Near the end of the time allotted, use the “Score All Students” button to give full credit to all unscored students.
Step 6 When you are ready to enter the scores into your gradebook, sign in to your account from a desktop or laptop computer and navigate to Courses/Subcategories
Step 7 Click on the desired Subcategory (Grammar WS #2)
- If you use the same Subcategory title more than once the system will blend or average that Subcategory’s scores.
- Subcategory scores that are linked to the On-Task category are included with other On-Task scores when determining each student’s On-Task percentage.
- In addition to On-Task, you can also create and link Subcategories to the categories of Participation, and Behavior.
Getting Started / related articles and screencasts:
- Signing up and getting started – Regular acct.•V,A
- Signing up with a Clever-synced acct.•V,A
- Introducing E4Effort to students•V,A
- Accessing & navigating the Student Portal•V,S,G
- Effort Shares and Buybacks•V,G
- Include student in-class effort in your gradebook•A
- Reduce your correcting workload•A
- Template for printing Effort Award certificates•A
Key: V=screencast video; A=All plans., S=Silver plan, G=Gold plan.