STEP 1: Sync roster (Clever-synced Accounts) OR enter Courses and Students (Regular Accounts)
I. Sync your roster via Clever Library (Clever-synced Account)
Clever-synced Accounts – Note to elementary teachers, and other teachers who teach many different subjects to the same students, you can make E4Effort easier to use by choosing 2 or 3 Courses to do all your effort scoring. See I. B, below.
Another solution is to replace your Clever-synced account with a Regular Account. This will allow you to create your own Courses. For example, Sec 1 B L (Before Lunch), and Sec 2 A L (After Lunch). To sign up for a Regular Account, go to our sign up page, use a non-school email address, and select the blue “Sign Up” button.
A. Steps to sync your Courses and Students using the Clever Library
- From a desktop or laptop computer (or tablet) go to https://clever.com and sign in as a teacher or go to sign up and choose the “Log in with Clever” option.
- Select the “Library” tab, then “Classroom Management” and then “E4Effort.”
- Select “Install E4Effort” and “Allow and continue” buttons.
To see these steps click on the 50 second video:
B. Elementary and other teachers…
…who teach many different subjects to the same students, you can make E4Effort easier to use by choosing 2 or 3 Courses to do all your effort scoring. When you see the same students it’s difficult to remember to keep switching Courses – there is no bell or new students entering your class. Also, when calling on students randomly in the Participation category, it’s better to equalize participation opportunities for larger segments of time, instead of per Course. (Otherwise, it can easily happen that some of the same students are selected for Participation through-out multiple Courses – which can upset the students who are not selected.)
Clever-synced accounts are not able to change Course names. But you can deactivate most of your Courses from the Manage Courses window in your Teacher Dashboard. Leave two or three Courses active (maybe one morning Course and one afternoon Course). For example, a teacher leaves their morning Math course active but it is actually representing all of their morning courses.
- To get to the Manage Courses page, click on the Owl (#1 in the image)
- Decide on 1 to 3 courses to leave active, use the Deactivate button (#2) to move the rest to your inactive list..
Note: you can use the Subcategory feature to give titles to learning activities in the On Task, category. For example, even though you are in the Course “Mathematics,” you can create a Subcategory titled “LA independent.” This will allow you to assess student effort more specifically by course and assignment type. This is also helpful for parent teacher conferences and other meetings. The categories of Participation and Behavior also allow Subcategories to be created. See the article Creating or editing Subcategories in the Help Center.
II. Enter your Courses and Students (Regular Account)
A. Creating Courses
- After signing up, the Teacher Dashboard will open to the “Manage Courses” – select the “+New Course” button (see #1 in image).
- Fill in in Course information – to have your Courses listed in order, by class period, in both the Teacher Dashboard and Teacher Scoring App, include the period number as part of each Course title (e.g. P1 Advisory, P2 Social Studies, P3 Social Studies, etc.).
- When you create your first Course you will also create a Term. Give the Term a name and start and end dates. “Estimated school days” is used to organize the Effort Challenge badges that are automatically awarded to students meeting effort percentage minimums every 5 days. Make your best guess, it is better guess under the actual number than over.
- To create more Courses, click on the Owl at the top of the side-panel or select “View All Courses” from Courses on the side-panel, then select “+New Course.”
- Choose a Course (#2) and then the “Add Students” button (#3 – If you have students entered already, first select the “Manage Students” button then “Add Students”).
- A First Name window and a Last Name window will appear. Type the first name of student X and hit the tab key on your computer, type last name of student X, hit tab key (a new row will appear). In this way you may type all students for one Course without using your mouse or track pad to navigate to the Add Student button. Click the “Save” button when you finish with your first Course.
If none of your students have more than one course with you, repeat the steps of creating Courses and adding Students. If however one or more students see you for multiple courses, continue on to section II C.
C. Adding one or more previously created students to an existing or new Course
- Click in the window below “Add existing students to this course” (#4).
- Select the student or students you wish to add (in the image Alane, Alfredo, Bobby, and Casey have been selected and Charlie is about to be added).
- When you are done adding students, scroll down to the end of your student list and press the Save button.
If you are creating a new Course and you want to add all previously entered students, click “Select All Active Students” (#5). You may remove one or more students by clicking the “X” next to their name (#6). Remember to click the Save button.