The Teacher Dashboard and..
Buybacks is the optional rewards program available to Gold Plans. Click the Buybacks tab at the top of the website for more information.
This Buybacks access has records across all courses and allows you to create Buybacks for all your courses. Options include a) creating Buyback offers, b) creating Classroom Challenges, c) viewing student redemption selections and marking redemptions as fulfilled. Course specific Buybacks access is available by selecting Shares from the side panel.
I. Buybacks tab
(Items numbers are referenced in the images)
1) When you click on Buybacks on the side panel your dashboard will open to the Buybacks tab.
2) The Buybacks table will list previously created Buyback offers and Classroom Challenges
3) Select + New Buyback to create a Buyback offer.
4) Select + New Classroom Challenge to create a Classroom Challenge.
5) Select Edit to make changes to a Buyback offer or Classroom Challenge.
II. Create a Buyback offer
Select + New Buyback Offer (#3 in the previous image)
6) Offer Image – Use your own images, or screenshots of images you find on the internet, or select from our Buyback images page. (For best fit, image length should be approximately 2.25 times image height – click to download an image dimesion guide.)
7) Offer Title and Description – title and describe the Buyback – let students know the what, when, how, etc.
8) Courses – If you are a middle or high school teacher use the Select All Courses button. If you are a teacher who sees the same students in multiple courses, select one of your courses to put all your Buyback offers.
9) Shares – decide on the cost of a Buyback Offer based on how popular you believe the offer will be and how many Effort Shares students have. Try to create multiple offers with low, middle, and high-range redemption costs.
How many Effort Shares can a student earn in a Term? Assuming an 8-week Term:
A. Effort Challenges (done in the background – no teacher involvement): two Effort Shares per Effort category (Ready, Participation, On Task, Behavior) per week = 8 x 8 wks = 64 Effort Shares per course. (A student could have multiple courses if you see them in more than one course or if another teacher is using a Clever-synced E4Efffort account.)
B. Effort Awards (assigned by the teacher from the Recognition category of the Teacher Scoring App): Assuming each student has one opportunity for an Effort Award every two weeks, the maximum a student could earn would be 4 x 10 = 40 Effort Shares (per course). For a class of 30 students the teacher would, on average, select 3 Effort Award winners per class day. For a class of 20, this drops to 2 Effort Awards per day.
Maximum (approximate) Effort Shares per 8-week term per course = 64 + 40 = 104
10) Show Advanced Options
11) Start and End dates – enter Start and End dates if you want Buybacks to be available for a limited time. Offers will appear on Student Portals on the Start date and disappear on the End date.
12) Expiration date – expiration information should be included in the description of your Buyback Offer.
13) Max # of Redemptions – if you have a limited number of a particular type of Buyback Offer, enter that number here. For example, you have 10 notebooks, so you enter the number 10 into the Max # window.
14) Limit to One Redemption per Student – after a student redeems a “Limit to One…” Buyback offer, it will no longer appear on their Buyback’s page. (NOTE: to give students a limit of 2, or 3, etc., make more of the same Buyback offer and check the “Limit to One…” box each time.)
Press the Save button.
III. Create a Classroom Challenge
Classroom Challenges are tied to Classroom Recognition. See Beginner’s Guide Step 4 (section II) for an overview.
Select + New Classroom Challenge (#4 in the first image)
15) Challenge Image – take a screenshot of an image from the internet.
16) Offer Title and Description – title and describe Classroom Challenge.
17) Challenge Start and End dates – one of the best times to run a Classroom Challenge are the days leading up to a school break.
18) Courses – If you are a middle or high school teacher, use the Select All Courses button. If you are a teacher who sees the same student’s for multiple periods, select the course or courses that you want to tally. (Decide if each course needs to reach the goal or if you will be calculating an average for all courses.)
19) Enter the total Shares needed to reach the Classroom Challenge.
20) Students will be able to see how the challenge is progressing from their Student Portal’s Effort Shares tab. The thermometer will fill as Classroom Recognition is scored. The Scoring App can only record same-day Classroom Shares. Missed days can be scored from the Teacher Dashbord by going to Shares on the side-panel and then Classroom Shares.
IV. View student redemption selections and mark redemptions as fulfilled
When a student redeems a Buyback offer, the information is sent to the Teacher Dashboard’s Redemptions Table.
21) Select the Redemptions tab.
22) The number shown in the Buybacks button is the number of Unfulfilled Redemptions across all Courses.
23) Use the Search box to search the for a student, Course, Buyback name, Unfulfilled status, etc.
24) Press the triangle to the right of any column heading to have the table sort alphabetically by column heading.
25) To keep the Redemptions table up-to-date, click the Fulfill Button each time you fulfill a student redemption.
Note: Mark Redemptions as fulfilled as soon as you add a student’s name to a list that you plan to post, or print their homework pass, etc. In other words you do not have to wait until the student uses their Buyback to mark it as fulfilled.